Monday, July 13, 2009

Berlin


Back from a long weekend in the inscrutable city of Berlin. This is my fourth or fifth visit to the German capital, and I must say the overall impression has become one of confusion. Berlin seems to be many things at once: a quintessentially political city trying to build a progressive, transparent future onto a violent past (see Reichstag, above); the ur-hipster city; a den of vice; a magnet for the young and cool; an Eastern European backwater full of unemployment, obesity, and mullets; a contemporary art capital. Quite a lot to wrap one's mind around.

Fortunately, my goals were a bit less complicated than getting to the heart of the enigma. A little sightseeing with A, who had never been (here engaging in typical tourist behavior. I tried to say no but he just insisted on being photographed in this pose):

Getting into the scene with the help of T:
[Aside: random shout-out to LeDuc]
Bit of raunch:

And, of course, a little political protest in support of the (future) Indepdent Republic of East Turkmenistan.

Other highlights: 'secret' vegetarian restuarant hidden behind rubbish bins; clubbing with the Erasmus crowd (more fun in antrhopological terms than in fun terms); dauntingly enormous brunches at Russian restaurants (no 'Tatiana,' but hey); BRATWURST.

4 comments:

LeDuc said...

I've only been to Berlin once, but it was, entirely coincidentally, November 1989. So I may not have gained an entirely accurate impression of the city.

Nonetheless I loved it. Dirty like London, still with random walls pockmarked with bullet-scars, Nazi relics (the Olympic stadium is pregnant with history), underground culture, and a fascinating train/tram system that couldn't have been better designed for sightseeing (including one U-bahn line that passed over razor wire and through East Germany before looping back into the West).

Alas, the Hauptbahnhof obviously wasn't built when I was there, so I am envious of your trip...

Tom said...

Quite a coincidence! Are you sure you didn't have a former life of international espionage?

LeDuc said...

Let's just say I like to feel my presence in Berlin made some small contribution to the changes... let's just leave it at that.

I am, in fact, the Forrest Gump of international relations, in an itinerary that includes the overthrow of President-for-Life Bourguiba while I was enjoying a particularly fertile stay in Tunisia and, shortly before my first visit, the end of apartheid in South Africa.

But now I'm boasting.

Lady V said...

Loving the Lustgarten. Feel we should cultivate one of our own...