Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What now?


The saga continues. Now it seems I won't be able to apply for the new kind of visa until June 11th at the earliest, because I am required to maintain a balance over £800 in my bank account for 3 months prior to the application. This condition will be met one month from today.

What to do in the meantime? I can't go to the UK for fear of arousing suspicion of circumventing the visa process. Milan (where I am now) certainly has some nice advantages, though co-habitating in the Hub is not really an ideal living situation. Ditto Brooklyn. Ditto pretty much anywhere. So, what to do with myself for the next month? Suggestions welcome.

4 comments:

LeDuc said...

Just turn up at Heathrow Airport and claim political asylum. They won't let you work (but you don't want to do that anyway), but they'll release you into the country pending them making a decision about your claim. There is currently a processing backlog of about 3 years, so you can come and go as you please. Sorted.

If it were me, I'd pootle off around the Med for a month. Those Pyramids need seeing; you probably ought to be helping out the Greek economy by eating seafood and chips; and Andalucia is utterly lovely at this time of year.

Damnit: you're tempting me, now.

Tom said...

That sounds like a fabulous plan. Just two little problems: time (I'm meant to be doing some sort of dissertation or something) and money. Maybe I could find someone to employ me as a Professional Gypsy?

Lady V said...

Hmm. Time and Money. My two favourite or worst things, depending.

My approach in such a situation would be find a library, in the cheapest place possible and hunker down for the next 6 weeks. Get as much work done as you can and save cash, then rise again like a phoenix when the time is right.

Silence. Exile. Cunning.

Unknown said...

Technically homeless from May 28th to June 11th. Bar studying = Dissertation. Where should we vacation?