Monday, January 3, 2011

2010: Change and Continuity

It's been a year of change, but also continuity.

I started 2010 with a concrete and extensive dissertation plan about which I, my advisers, and others were excited. I ended 2010 with a concrete and extensive dissertation plan about which I, my advisers, and others were excited. They were not the same. There was some confusion in between, about six months of intellectual homelessness.

I started 2010 living in one of my favorite cities in the world, a bustling cosmopolitan capital. I ended 2010 living in one of my favorite cities in the world, a bustling cosmopolitan capital. They were not the same. There was some confusion in between, about six months of literal homelessness.

I started 2010 with a Very Special Person in my life. I ended 2010 with a Very Special Person in my life. They were the same. Some confusion, to be sure, but also 12 months of real happiness. The same goes for all the other Special People in my life. The continuity I value most.

2011 will bring more changes. I'm going to nearly finish this dissertation. This means that, having exhausted all reasonable educational opportunities, I will need to figure out what to do with my life, at least for the next little bit (suggestion box is now open). I'm also going to be thick into my other projects, of the climate-changing and chicken-frying varieties. And at the same time, a new Special Person is arriving on the scene, a little bundle of joy and terror, but mostly joy.

Big changes, then, bringing big rewards and big risks. How they're going to unfold, I really can't say. Confusion, there will be.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Change tests and invigorates. The granite endures, the limestone erodes. I wouldn't want to end this or any year with a limestone life, now matter how smooth and familiar.

So, onwards and upwards. But I'm just damn glad I get to do it with you!

2 comments:

albeo said...

Very glad the Very Special Person was the same one ;-)

Ksnow said...

doubly proud of you i am, last year and this year.