Saturday, February 16, 2008

Reflections on Man's BFF after spending some time with the species

I am typing this with one hand because the other one is being licked/gnawed by my charge for the weekend, the lovely Habibi, a concentrated bundle of fur, pee, and energy. She is somewhat smaller than Myla, my fourth roommate at my new place, and where Myla is deranged, "Bibi" is merely manic.

In totally unrelated news, today the BBC reports that people are increasingly shooting pets with air guns for sport. This is wrong. I mean, an air gun is just going to piss them off. Take a lesson from China, where municipal governments send toughs into the streets to club the curs like baby seals.

But don't worry, if your pet gets bludgeoned by vigilantes you can pay some Korean scientists $50,000 to have it resurrected. Unless it gets put in one of these.

Poor dogs. They should be roaming the wilds in hunting packs, and instead we have made them into little fluffy toys to use and abuse for our own pleasure. I say: free them all and let evolution work things out.

Now, must go mop up the pee.

No comments: