They were over-the-top hosts: fresh flowers in every room, ridiculous thread-counts, only the most decadent foodstuffs. Felt rather pampered.
But then the dark side of this life began to reveal itself. With R and T, fascinating conversation on many topics is possible. With their several house guests (Parisian professors), the areas of overlapping interest are precisely three: renovating quaint homes in the French countryside, antiquing, and literary theory. Since my enthusiasm for any of these topics is exhausted after about two minutes--and my ability to discuss them intelligently in French is exhausted after one--there was a lot of smiling and nodding. And wishing they would stop discussing the wine long enough to pour it.
Also, it was rainy and cold, a fact that did not deter our intrepid hosts from insisting on dining in the garden.
In sum, a pleasant two days that ended none too soon. Which is why I'm smiling/grimacing as we zip back to civilization.
3 comments:
Oh god I think I would have gone insane...
Literary theory? Thread counts? Lesbian chanteuses? I would have LAPPED it up...
Did you put lilacs in your hair?
Post a Comment