Friday, July 4, 2008

Cinematic Orchestra


Went to see them tonight, in part because I was extremely curious how they could possibly do what they do outside of a high tech studio. The somewhat disappointing answer is that they play instruments over tracks from the ipod. And not particularly well, at that. BUT the concert was great fun, an adventure in your ear.

A major highlight was the MASSIVE vocalist they had with them. She was probably generating sounds at frequencies unavailable to the human ear. Also, gravitational force.

3 comments:

LeDuc said...

Just before I stopped really listening to pop music, back in the late 1980s, there was a Euro-group named Black Box who released a glorious disco number called "Ride on Time". It had the most extraordinary, swooping vocals.

The videos showed this lovely, extraordinarily skinny chick singing, but it turned out she was just a mime artist and the real singer was this absolutely enormous woman. She had a voice from the Gods.

The moral I took from that story was that fat people generally have richer voices than skinny people.

Turned out most of their other tracks were also mimed, but over another equally enormous woman (who was also one of the Weather Girls of "It's raining men" fame).

Er...

Sorry, I'll go and bore someone else now!

Lady V said...

I LOVED Ride on Time. It never fails to make me feel jolly and uplifted... Le Duc, you are on the money, as always....

Tom said...

Will check this group out immediately. It is certainly true that producing beautiful sounds tends to require a large chamber in which to resonate. That they used a skinny impostor is downright shameful.

Makes me think of my mother, whose fondest wish is to be reincarnated as a gospel singer with a booming voice.