Let us take the case of Professor M, an eminent scholar who has made significant contributions to several fields, and whose many writings fill the most arcane technical journals as well as any number of popular magazines and newspapers. He has advised political leaders on at least four continents.
Professor M's appointments this week included giving two tests: my general oral exam, and the written exam for the undergraduate class he teaches, which I assist with. How did he do on these tasks?
The night before my oral exam I email Professor M on an unrelated matter. I receive an out-of-office reply informing me that Professor M is out of the country until the following afternoon. I quickly reply by telling him that this is most inconvenient, seeing as how my exam is scheduled for 9:00 in the morning. He pleads ignorance, but to his credit makes it back in time, arriving only a few minutes late.
That left the undergraduate exam, scheduled for 1:oo this afternoon. When this hour arrives, I find myself confronting an exam hall of 80 increasingly agitated 18 year-olds. The minutes tick by. Calls to Professor M's office, house, and mobile go unanswered. The students become increasingly rebellious. Fearing they might turn violent, I decide to run down the hall, print off 80 copies of the exam, and administer it myself. An hour or so later, Professor M finally responds to my messages. Again, ignorance is feigned. You mean I actually have to administer the exams, he asks? I thought I just sent it off to the registrar and they took care of it. This man has taught here for six years.
Maybe it's time to install a clock or two on the Ivory Tower.
3 comments:
That's all very well, but how was Professor M at administering oral to you?
Le Duc, you shall be punished for this pun.
snort
Post a Comment