
Spent the evening running around town in a GIANT rental truck picking up various used furnishings I got on the internet. Absolutely terrifying . Fortunately the lovely M was along to provide moral support and muscle.
The last item of the night was an office chair. I had returned the truck by this point because I could easily wrangle a rolling chair on the subway. Went to the yuppies' house and bought their chair for a pittance. But I had barely rolled it half a block when I come across, on the curb, a superior chair! One of those high-tech ergonomic sitting machines that Anne-Marie complains Princeton wastes all its money on. After ascertaining that the chair was in fact abandoned, I added it to my herd and rolled down 15th St, sheparding my charges like some modern-day goatherd.
Before I get even half a block more I am stopped by a frat-boy / banker-type man who says, wow, what a nice chair and asks me if I would part with it for a sum of money. I decide that the sitting-machine, while valuable and ergonomic, is a bit too 'corporate' for my grad-student decor. And I quite like the other chair anyway. I say yes. He asks how much. I say the first number that pops into my head. He pulls out his wallet and gives it to me. He takes his chair and rolls one way, I take mine and roll home. And now as I write this I am reclining comfortable, enjoying excellent lumbar support. But I can't help but think what it would be like with the one that got away...
1 comment:
what! how much did you get for that chair? will your guests still have to sit on a tv?
Post a Comment