Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Crib

I have a new place! Many of you have been pestering me for details about it, presumably because you take an interest in my life. Or maybe just because you want a nice place to stay in NYC. I suppose they're not mutually incompatible motives.
With flagrant disregard for the democratic process, I now live on 48th street in Hell's Kitchen. The neighborhood lays to the west of Times Square and takes it's name from the centuries of gang warfare that took place here. In cinematic term, the area's ill repute began with Gangs of New York and ended with West Side Story, both of which were set in the 'hood.
But Midtown proved too close to allow HK to remain uncivilized, so once Giuliani ran the pornographers out of Times Square, the gentrifying masses swept West to the tree-lined streets of tenements beyond. The result is quite a pleasant if somewhat neutered residential neighborhood where yuppies and Puerto Rican abuelas live happily side-by-side. The lack of edgyness is somewhat compensated by the corresponding lack of strutting hipsters. This is my spot in it:
I found this abode thanks to M, who used to live next door. The real tenants have moved to Ireland and so are subletting to me at their very attractive rent-stabilized rate. I just love American socialism. Yes it may be illegal, but it's also the only way one can live on this island on a student stipend!

The apartment is on the fourth floor, the top. It peaks up a story higher than the rest of the buildings on the block, so gets some great views of Midtown. You can also climb up the fire escape to the roof for expansive vistas.

The living room:

The living room with visitors:
The boudoir:

The Liliputian kitchen:
Regin confronts the bathroom / the gaping maw of the inferno:
As you can see, I need things. The apartment came rather unfurnished and so I've composed a wedding registry-esque list of home furnishings to acquire. Feeling very domestic. High on the list is a sofa (would-be visitors, take note!). This is basically all I own in life:
And the TV was left here. If anyone wants it you're welcome to it, though it has been working well as a bench.

So, in sum, I am very pleased with this place. Provided I don't get evicted, it will be a good base for now. Come visit!

8 comments:

LeDuc said...

You've only been there 5 minutes and already you're using a grocer's apostrophe. I guess it's that kind of neighbourhood? I once stayed in a very jolly hotel in 54th street -- maybe it was the Paramount. Someone else was paying. All I really remember is that the hotel staff were dressed in Armani and were intimidatingly beautiful (beating me on both counts, as I stood there in my M&S finery).

I'm a bit envious of your lack of stuff. Do you want a couple of model trains I've got going spare? Or a few DVDs? Just let me know...

And as I fill in "bvfwuzns" in the box below, it's good to see albeo's rant having such an immediate effect!

Tom said...

Wait, that post was about my blog? I had no idea it had that setting on it. You people have to TELL me these things, instead of assuming I can read your mind and then posting rants!

So how do i turn it off?

And yes...I never won any grammar/spelling competitions.

LeDuc said...

On your blog when you're signed in, click the button at top right that says Customise; then go to Settings; then go to Comments.

About half-way down that screen there's an option "Show word for verification" -- and you should click the "no" blob.

Easy as pie. It's almost as if I know something about computers, isn't it?

LeDuc said...

Oh, wait a minute -- it didn't ask me for a word. So I guess you've turned it off already.

Which, I guess, makes this comment Spam...

sxg said...

well, colo(u)r me jealous!

i'm glad to see there's a place for your brand new, aisle obstructing colander!

FKJ said...

ALSO most pleased
please remove
towel before
any bouncy bouncy

vod v and pod

la chinita said...

people, that tv was NOT as comfortable as it may look!

albeo said...

I am looking forward to visiting the... er... boudoir mr... ;-)